Open Blogs

A 727 Drvier wanna be

Steve Greenwald
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Save the Ducks

Another website we would like to recommend to our readers

A page says it aims to not be just another page on old planes is  www.iloveww2warbirds.com  They say they want to educate the masses, just as we do, with accurate historic resources, on planes of WWII as well as celebrate those men and women who flew them…

If your heart skips a beat every time you hear a radial engine start up and that “Throaty” sound makes you heart start to race and throb as if it were to jump from your chest, and the pounding feels it is in concert with the shaking of the ground as the powerful aircraft makes that low pass, then you know you have the “Bug”…

If you want frequently updated insights/resources on birds from all theaters of combat then this page is for you! click here   http://www.iloveww2warbirds.com

P-51 Formation

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Top ten reasons why you should never learn how to fly

Why would you ever want to learn this? Boring!

May 27, 2013              News, Tips & Tricks
Flying? Boring! Why would I ever want to do it? Aside from being expensive and time consuming,  it’s also pointless. Why would I want to shoot around the sky in a metal tube?  It just seems like a poor use of time. Seriously, only those with poor judgement would consider getting a pilots’ license.  There are just so many reasons why you should never do it, but here are the top ten that I could think of.

1.  The view sucks.  Why would I want to see the world from 3000 AGL?  I have such a hard time picking out my house from the plane, it’s so much easier if I’m driving around in my car.  The world just looks so big from the air and it’s really not that interesting.  I’m just not interested in seeing the bigger picture.

These guys are always bossing us pilots around. You'd think they own the airspace or something.

These guys are always bossing us pilots around. You’d think they own the airspace or something.

2.  Airports are boring.  Nothing interesting happens at airports. Seriously, flight schools talk about teaching you soft field landings and precautionary/forced landings, but never actually let you do them, always forcing you to return to the airport. How about some danger? I’ve seen Top Gun – I’m ready!

3.  Air Traffic Controllers are bossy.  They constantly tell you what to do and they talk so fast that you can barely understand them most of the time.  And they always tell you to switch frequencies and get upset if you don’t call them.

4.  Too many calculations. You really have to learn how to flight plan to learn how tedious and pointless it is.  Just point the airplane in the direction you want to go – how much harder does it have to be, people? Fuel, schmuel. I’ll just keep an eye on the fuel gauge like I do when I drive. What could possibly go wrong?

5.  No in-flight entertainment.  Unless you count your instructor, there is no real source of entertainment when you’re flying.  No movies, TV, music or anything. No hot coffee. The service stinks.  Why would I want to sit in an old uncomfortable 30 year old Cessna when I can comfortably stretch my legs out on the couch like a human being.  When I stretch my legs out in the Cessna I just end up hitting the rudder pedals, which causes yaw and makes me do more work to correct it.  Can’t relax in the thing for a second.

6.  Flight instructors are annoying.  They are always telling you what to do and bossing you around. It’s worse than ATC because you can’t really get away from them.  Once you leave the control zone you are free of the claws of terminal control but you can’t dump your instructor once you let them in the plane with you.  They are not that interesting and they really don’t know that much … How much can there possibly be to know?

7. Too much safety emphasis.   Do you know how long it takes to prepare to actually go on a flight that lasts less than an hour? About two hours. Checklists, meetings, briefings, log books, journey log books, sheesh. So much paperwork and so many safety checks. I mean, did you know when you’re at the hold short line that you have to check your engine is operating? It started, so why do you need to check it again? Obviously it’s working and the plane is ready to go.  If it wasn’t it wouldn’t start. Obviously.

8.  Trainer planes are old.   Trainer planes are so old, they were built when dinosaurs roamed the earth.   No one is really impressed when you fly around in an airplane anyway.

9.  It’s too hard.  The instrument panel in your car has only a few sources of information: speed, fuel quantity, engine temperatures and some have a tachometer.  The most basic airplane panel has six highly confusing instruments which are really hard to understand, ever mind all the other engine instruments, radios, direction finding equipment, navigation tools, approach systems, and the little floaty thing on the dash.  There are so many maneuvers, attitudes and movements too learn, it’s just seems like way to much work.

10.  It’s scary.  The whole concept of flying just seems like a bad idea.  There are just too many planes of movement.  It’s not that rewarding, and not really fun to be in control of a tin tube with wings.   Constant briefings, meetings, exams, preparations, paperwork and safety checks.  Soaring through the air?  Make a career out of it? Seriously why bother. I’d rather just sit on the couch eating chips.

We hope you had a good laugh reading this.

Sarcasm aside, ever try to talk yourself out of getting a license?  So many reasons. The fact is that flying is hard, committing wonderful and very rewarding.  Like many things in life, if it wasn’t hard, it wouldn’t be worth doing.   Challenge yourself and don’t give up.  You will have the time of your life and you will NEVER regret doing it!

529473_10151641788071204_1331941448_n

Flying is fun

JR Hafer, says “I love to Fly, I have been flying Airplanes since 1963”

Heavens Lndng
Call today (800) HEAVEN2 . Mike and Holly Ciochetti      Heaven’s Landing (GE99)

LISTEN TO AIR TRAFFIC CONTROLLERS LIVE ON LIVE ATC.NET

Visit Fantasy of Flight Polk City, Florida

16 Responses to Open Blogs

1. Tom Akers says:

I remember that day well. I live in Hendersonville, NC and when the small airplane from winkler hit the Piedmont airplane or visa versa I remember there was bodies everywhere, in the road and in yards it was a desaster. You couldn’t help to cry all of us did. I was still a kid but I remember it. Thanks for say it and telling us about it. we need to always remenber it. Good job, I love you blog!
    Tommy Akers, Hendersonville, NC

2. Jui Cheng says:

Hello my name is Jui I currently live in Budapest Hungary and I often commute to Belarus by private aircraft. I have been an aviator for many years. I am from Asian country as is my home country. I do understand your affection for regional carriers and the sentimental attachment to them, when you watch the develop with you as a person grow up with you. I too have seen many changes in my country in commerce and aviation too. I would not be affluent and have my aircraft and business if not for progress as you say. But with progress sometimes come desasters and loss. With loss rises new opportunities and like the pheonix new will grow from ashes. You are the example are you not? Your blog is the finest I have seen anywhere all over the Internet. I read on it often. I see many others here in our aviation club reading your blog. we like it much.
    I wwould like to meet you sometime. When I come to USA I will visit the sun fun aviation community there. thank you. Jui Cheng Budapest

3. JRHafer says:

Elk River is known for it’s unique landing pattern and approach

(Click to watch the briefing to pilots)

4. Click here to go Flying A Mustang P-51

5. Rico Garcia Commercial Pilot Philippines says:

Great website. I follow this blog all the time, I read all the stories and it is very interesting. Thanks for doing such a good job keep up the good work. I vote this blog this best I have ever seen. Thanks.
    Rico Garcia Commercial Pilot Philippines

6. Rico Garcia Commercial Pilot Philippines says:

Oh yes I forgot to say, the next time I come to florida I want to come and visit the fantasy of flght. You write so much about it and I have really excited about seeing all those old aircrafts.
    Thanks. Rico Garcia Commercial Pilot Philippines 🙂

7. From Kyle Kirby (Hickory NC)
    Greetings from Hickory NC. Love the page here! Great job! Thought I would share a little of the happenings at our museum here! This shot was getting ready for a road trip and dinner with Bob Morgan (l) and Sherman Best. Bob flew C-46s with ATC and spent most of the rest of his career with Slick. He has a bout 37,000 hrs and flew two Saudi Kings in 46-47. Sherm is the last surviving crew member of the legendary B-26 “Flak-Bait”. He did three missions over the beach at Normandy on June 6th! Pricless friends and stories! Kyle (Hickory Aviation Museum our “HAM” reporter)

8. Thelma says:

wow I love this blog

9. Phyllis says:

I have been to fantasy of flight and i agree with mr Hafer there is real magic there. I love this article I read it in a magazine somewhere else but i enjoyed reading it again.
    I like this blog. ideed i like the entire website and tell others about it all the time. my brother flys his own airplane and i go with him evertime i can.

10. Bill Lambert says:

Wow that blows my mind, I really love this blog, can’t find anything like this anywhere on the net, this is truly unique, keep up the good work.
    Bill Lambert, Oakwood, ID

11. Pacific Aviation Museum to open Pan Am exhibit: HONOLULU — The Pacific Aviation Museum in Pearl Harbor plans to open an exhibit on Pan American World Airways next month.
    Artifacts and memorabilia from the airline’s early years in 1930s and 1940s and from beginning of the jet age in the 1960s are expected to be featured in the displays.
    Uniforms, original posters, signs, and navigation tools are among the items expected to be shown. The exhibit is designed to change and grow as more artifacts are contributed by friends of the now defunct airline. The exhibit is scheduled to open on Oct. 22.
    The Honolulu Community College website, PacificAerospace.org, says Pan Am flew first commercial flight from the mainland to Hawaii in April 1935. The M-130 Flying boat made the trip in 17 hours and 14 minutes.
    Okay, maybe I am behind the curve about 6 months, but that’s okay… in my opinion, Pan American Airways and Juan Tripp and the Flying Clippers are just as much a part of Americana as Abraham Lincoln, Apple Pie, George Washington’s cherry tree and maybe even the Liberty Bell…
    In fact if you don’t like the Jamie Dodson books “The China Clipper” and “Flying Boats and Spies” maybe we should check your Birth Certificate Mr. O’leary… But all that said in jest, of course, the Pam Am days were so much a part of the growth of American society. It’s hard to know American history without knowing about the importance of the Asian “Skyway” and development of Pan Am.
    Certainly a permanent Pan Am exhibit is beneficial to every citizen, not only aviation enthuisasts, for it is indeed a part of our history.
    JR Hafer, Aviation Writer

12. Aliciane says:

great articles and stylish website, keep up with the good work guys.http://www.divulgaemail.com

13. Nice article, I regularly follow your article and all your articles are very interesting and unique. Thanks for sharing such a great information.